Dear BEA Community:
There have been some questions regarding the CDC guidelines and the information I put out on Sunday in my message. Additionally, there have been some clarifications made by the CDC so I want to share with you the most updated information I have regarding the CDC's guidelines and requirements:
1. Persons who test positive for COVID must quarantine for 5 days from the start of symptoms. If after 5 days, the patient is asymptomatic or has minor symptoms, their quarantine period is over, however, they should wear a mask around others until Day 10 while at school. (Note: The CDC is now counting the first day of symptoms as Day 0).
2. Persons who are exposed to someone outside of school that are not in their household must quarantine for 5 days and can be tested on Day 5. If the test is negative, they may return to school/work immediately upon receiving their negative results.
3. Persons who are exposed to someone in their household must quarantine for 10 days and can be tested on Day 10. If the test is negative, they may return to school/work immediately upon receiving their negative results. (Note: if multiple people are positive in the same household, the 10 days starts over with each new case. Please contact the school nurse if it is a student and contact me if a staff member if you have any questions regarding this).
4. Any person who is 18 years or older and received their last dose of vaccine more than 6 months ago and have not received their booster shot are treated the same as unvaccinated individuals and must follow the same quarantine procedures in numbers 2 and 3 above.
5. Any person who is 18 years and older and received their last dose of the vaccine less than 6 months ago or received their booster shot and any student ages 5-17 who have received their second dose of the vaccine at any time, are not required to quarantine provided they wear a mask for 10 days at school/work.
(Note: This information regarding students aged 5-17 is new information). As booster shots become available for this age group, the requirements may change).
6. Anyone who has had a positive COVID test less than 90 days ago does not need to quarantine from school/work.
We continue to not accept home testing results. If you have a unique situation, please contact your school nurse.
All other guidelines remain the same. If you have any questions, please contact your school nurse for students and contact me if you are an employee.
As I have stated before, the most important thing everyone can do to help prevent the spread of the virus is to stay home if you are sick. Also, if someone in your household is sick and getting tested for COVID, please keep your children home or if you are an employee, please stay home pending the results of the test. The exceptions would be those who fall under numbers 5 and 6 above.
Scott V. Graham